Haversine Forums -> AirTrack - General Issues and Support

Starting location

Posted on August 9, 2012 02:54 by breadwild

I was wondering if I could have the Route statistics reflect relative distances from my first waypoint in a flight plan, instead of the actual GPS location of my iPad. For example, I want to plan a flight from San Francisco (KSFO) to Los Angeles (KLAX), but the REM shows all distances relative to the location of my iPad in Chicago. So instead a distance between KSFO and a waypoint near there of 10.2 miles, it shows an REM of 1934.4 miles. I really don't care about the distance from my iPad, only the relative distances between the waypoints in my flight plan.

Posted on August 9, 2012 10:02 by haversine

Hum ... lets see:

DIS shows the distance for each leg, so between the previous waypoint to the active one, always. It doesn't depend on your position. Isn't this what you want?

REM shows the remaining distance to cover to reach a given waypoint which is formed by the distance from your current location to the active waypoint plus the distance between the following waypoints, so it is cumulative.

It could indeed ignore your present position and be a simple sequence of Total planned distance minus cumulative leg distance counting from the end, so it would be fixed for a flight plan and never change.

However I'm not sure that this would be more useful than showing the actual distance remaining to a given WP. This way you can look at a WP and know exactly how far you are from it, (which is also used for calculating the ETA at that point). If it was fixed it would just be a different way of showing the DIS column, and you would miss this information. So not sure, what would be the advantage of that?

The part of the route statistics only concerns the total trip, and you have total planned distance (fixed) and distance to destination (depends on your position). It will also tell you ETE and ETA if you're moving.

joao @ airtrack

Posted on August 9, 2012 13:43 by breadwild

I must not have done a very good job explaining my question.

See screen snaps here: http://bit.ly/QICweF

1. I live near Chicago, which is approx 1800 miles from San Francisco
2. The trip I'm planning on AirTrack has nothing to do with my current location in Chicago
3. The trip is to originate in San Francisco and ultimately end up in Los Angeles, CA (a trip of some 340 miles)
4. Note image #3 shows the correct leg distance, but the REM and Distance to Destination is measuring from my actual GPS position in Chicago, which again has nothing to do with my trip
5. I'd like all distances to be from the point of origin, in this case KSFO.

So, question, is it possible to make AirTrack think I'm wherever that point of origin is?

Thanks.

Posted on August 9, 2012 14:47 by haversine

Sorry, at the moment it is only possible with a flight simulator such as X-Plane or MS FS. In this case you can place your plane in KSFO and it will show the distances from there.

As I mentioned the REM column always shows the distance from where you are, plus the following legs.

Likewise for Distance to Destination reflects the distance from where you are to the last WP. If you want the plan distance you have "Total Planned Distance" on the side.

So in summary, no it isn't possible unless you use a flight simulator to simulate your position.

Sorry :(
joao @ airtrack

Posted on August 9, 2012 15:33 by breadwild

Well, at least I know.

My goal is to plan my flights ahead of time and then transfer them to the FMS in X-Plane. So, maybe with the plug-in I'll be fine. New to this app and haven't tried it with X-Plane yet.

Thanks.

Posted on August 9, 2012 16:25 by haversine

By the way, you can also create your flight plans online on this web site which offers several options (auto-gen, your own route, most used routes, etc), and they will download automatically to AirTrack using your Air Account. See the Routes page.

Then when you want to fly one of them just press LOAD in AirTrack and it will load and be sent to the FMC in X-Plane.

joao

Posted on August 9, 2012 16:41 by breadwild

WOW! Didn't know about the Route Planner! That works beautifully! I love it. Have been using SimRoutes, which is nice but really like this one because it syncs with my AirTrack app, etc.

What I love about all of this is no more trying to enter flight routes into X-Plane FMS's that are so small, hard to read, and don't actually allow keyboard entry (clicking with a mouse is time consuming and so inaccurate).

Great app, great site. X-Plane just got a whole lot more fun.

Thanks.

Note: You need to be logged in to post in the forums.

© 2024 Haversine