Haversine Forums -> AirFMC - General Issues and Support

Increase Data Update Frequency?

Posted on June 20, 2014 19:18 by dmstumpf

Long time AirTrack user, new AirFMC user.

Is there any way to increase the communication speed between AirFMC and the server? FMC i/o seems to be around 1 update per second, which is fine for enroute use but programming the FMC is more difficult (slow) than it should be.

AirTrack updates very quickly (at least the PDF/MFCD seems to). Is there any way to increase the update rate for AirFMC? I didn't see any config options on the server or client side.

Posted on June 22, 2014 22:30 by haversine

Good point; I will change the plugin to make it faster and create an update!

Thanks,
joao @ haversine

Posted on June 23, 2014 20:22 by haversine

I just had a look and it turns out that the AirFMC plugin already submits 3 updates per second. For the 777, 757 and CRJ it is twice per second. So this should be unnoticeable when programming using the keyboard.

In any case button presses are immediate so pressing a key will transmit it to the plane/FMC at once and it will be reflected in the next screen update.

So the only explanation I find is that it is the FMC or plane that you are using that is causing the delay. I don't think that there is anything that can make it faster on the plugin/airfmc side i'm afraid.

But I may be wrong, let me know if you have a different perception.

joao @ haversine

Posted on June 30, 2014 05:04 by dmstumpf

Thanks for the quick reply Joao, and sorry for my late one (new baby at home).

I can confirm that the AirFMC app is receiving and displaying data around three times per second. However, when typing characters into the FMC via the iPad , they only refresh on-screen (both iPad and in X-Plane) once per second. That is a lot of time to catch a typo and have to backspace. The same delay exists when pressing a menu button (for example, DEP/ARR or PERF) - it takes one second to see the new menu.

I don't know if the delay is between the app and the plugin or the plugin and X-Plane. I primarily use XFMC but also tested with the CRJ200.

I've also noticed that if I type too fast, the characters get garbled. When typing KSJC, I must enter it slower than a couple characters per second or I will end up with JKSC, etc.

Either way, there is plenty of bandwidth on the LAN, so I'd love to get a more fluid experience. My tests were at a small airport with no busy scenery so the FPS were between 70 and 100.

Posted on June 30, 2014 16:02 by dmstumpf

I should add that the garbled characters seemed to only occur with the CRJ200 FMC and not with XFMC. Possibly just something with that particular aircraft.

Note: You need to be logged in to post in the forums.

© 2024 Haversine